Great option for a healthy and quick breakfast, snack or even a dessert. Top with your favorite nut butter, buttery spread or enjoy it plain. Great to enjoy both cold or heated up. And this is a perfect dish to bring to a brunch!
Enjoy this banana bread without any of the guilt. It is full of whole grains and fiber and most of the sweetness comes from the bananas!
HEALTHY BANANA BREAD
Time: 1 Hour
Printer Friendly Version
blender or food processor
bread pan or baking dish
4 medium ripe and spotty bananas
3 cups rolled oats
¾ cup unsweetened plant milk (I used almond milk)
½ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup sugar (I recommend coconut sugar or brown sugar)
2 tbsp chia seed or ground flax seed
1 tbsp lemon juice (can sub for apple cider vinegar)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the chia seed or ground flax seed with 6 tbsp of water. Then set aside to let it become a gel-like substance. This will be our “egg”.
3. Set aside ½ cup of rolled oats. Place the remaining 2 ½ cups rolled oats into a food processor or blender and blend until oats become a flour like consistency.
4. In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: oat flour, reserved ½ cup of rolled oats, sugar, chopped walnuts, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until well incorporated then set aside.
5. In a large sized mixing bowl, peel the spotty bananas and mash them with a fork until they become runny consistency. Then add in all other wet ingredients: chia or flax “egg”, plant milk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Mix together until well incorporated.
6. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix together until clumps have dissolved.
7. Pour batter into a parchment paper-lined or greased 8″ bread pan. Use a spatula to smooth the top. Optional: slice 1 banana in half and place on top for a pretty decoration.
8. Bake at 350F for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out cleanly. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan, then remove from the pan and allow to cool completely before slicing.
9. Store in refrigerator for up to one week.